Click here for the online version Pour le français, cliquez ici pour la version en-ligne
Global personalities join forces with MMM to raise the voices of mothers in Afghanistan
#RaiseAPen Campaign kicks off
Today, Make Mothers Matter (MMM), backed by key global personalities and organisations, is kicking off the #RaiseAPen campaign, answering the call of mothers in Afghanistan for the continued right to education for their girls.
This mobilisation video is a tribute to all those who believe that standing for the education of girls in Afghanistan is standing for the education of girls everywhere.
Staffan de Mistura, former UN Special Envoy to Afghanistan who is championing the #RaiseAPen campaign told MMM: “This call is very timely. In Afghanistan, there can be no sustainable peace without education for all, but most importantly, education for women and girls who represent 51% of the population”.
Much of Afghanistan’s progress over the last 18 years can be attributed to the power of the pen and the resilience of Afghan women themselves, who have fought to bring about meaningful change.
Today, many are visible, active and impactful in diverse spheres of life, seizing opportunities wherever they find them. From politics to activism, entrepreneurship to industry, they are determined to realise their vision of an Afghanistan where every woman can live in peace and enjoy her rights.
But there is much that still needs to happen to allow more Afghan girls and women to participate in the development of their country.
MMM President Anne-Claire de Liedekerke commented: “The #RaiseAPen campaign comes at a crucial moment in Afghanistan's history. No one wants to reverse years of progress. This is why today, with Afghan mothers and girls, we #RaiseAPen to ensure a forward movement by raising global awareness for their call. And we could not have done it without the commitment and help of two of our associate members and civil society partners in Afghanistan, the Farkhunda Trust for Afghan Women’s Education and Mothers For Peace”.
MMM is also grateful to many other Afghan and international personalities and organizations that have given the campaign their backing and support:
- Rangina Hamidi, Minister of Education, I.R of Afghanistan
- Rahela Sidiqi, Founder & Director of Farkhunda Trust for Afghan women’s education
- Stefania Giannini, UNESCO Assistant Director General of Education
- Najat Maalla M’jid, UN Special Representative on Violence against Children
- Dr. Koumbou Boly Barry, UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Education
- Amb. Mohammad Wali Naeemi, Deputy Permanent Representative of I.R of Afghanistan to the UN
- Amb. Melanne Verveer, Executive Director Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security
- Staffan de Mistura, former UN Special Envoy to Afghanistan
- Mary Kaldor, Professor of Global Governance and CEO of the Conflict Research Program, IDEAS, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Rima Salah, former Deputy Executive director of UNICEF & Chair of ECPC
- Habiba Sarabi, Member of the Peace Negotiating Delegation I.R of Afghanistan
- Roya Mahboob, Afghan Entrepreneur and Philanthropist
- Dr Sima Samar, Afghan Woman’s & Human Rights advocate
- Permanent Delegation of Afghanistan to UNESCO
Save Our Future, a global education initiative supported by key organisations around the world
Hélène De Beir Foundation
Early Childhood Peace Consortium
MenCare, a Global fatherhood campaign
Wellbeing Economy Alliance, a global collaboration working to transform the economic system
White Ribbon Alliance, a global movement for woman and child health
Only through our collective voices can the noise be loud enough to be heard.
Help us amplify the call
VIEW & SHARE THE MOBILISATION VIDEO
using the #RaiseAPen hashtag
& the Social Media Toolkit on our Media Page
Join the high level virtual panel discussion on November 25th
to hear key decision makers discuss the way forward beyond ‘raising a pen’
REGISTER & POST YOUR QUESTION HERE
Support the ongoing campaign
With gratitude for your solidarity with Afghan mothers and girls,
MMM teams and Partners in #RaiseAPen campaign
Thank you to all our campaign supporters
Make Mothers Matter
5 rue de l'Université 75007 Paris France
Created in 1947, Make Mothers Matter is an international NGO with no political or religious affiliations, transparently voicing the concerns of mothers at the highest level: the European Union, UNESCO and the United Nations (general consultative status).
This Message was sent to / Cet email a été envoyé à email@example.com.
Unsubscribe / Se désinscrire
© 2020 Make Mothers Matter (MMM)