Taking place in a moment when a new five year Strategy for Equality between Women and Men has been recently announced, the International Seminar "Joining efforts towards Gender Equality in the EU 2010 - 2015" is to foster the debate on EIGE’s joint work with different partners, from EU Agencies and other Institutions, to Member States representatives, namely National Bodies for Gender Equality and National Statistics Offices regarding the implementation of the Strategy.
Commission’s Vice-President responsible for Justice, Fundamental Rights and Citizenship, Viviane Reding will present the Commission’s Strategy and will take the opportunity to bestow the prizes to the winners of the Institute'slogo competition.
The participation of Cedefop, Eurofound and FRA will pave the way for close cooperation in several domains. Furthermore, Eurostat and OECD participation will allow us to start paving the way for some of the main tasks ahead of EIGE relating to, for example, the support to EU Council Presidencies regarding Beijing Indicators and the development of the EU Gender Equality Index.
|08:00 – 09:00
|09:00 – 10:30
Vice-President of the European Commission responsible for Justice, Fundamental Rights and Citizenship (watch video part 1/2, part 2/2 - download .pdf)
Eva Maria Welskop-Deffaa
Chair of EIGE's Management Board
Documenting - Analysing - Giving Impetus: EIGE's role for gender equality policy in Europe (watch video - download .pdf)
Director – European Institute for Gender Equality (EIGE)
EIGE's role in the context of the New EU Strategy for Gender Equality (watch video)
Signing of Cooperation Agreements between EIGE and:
European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions (Eurofound) - watch video
European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) - watch video
EIGE’s logo competition winner
EC Vice-President Viviane Reding to award the 1st place winner and runners up (watch video)
J.E. François Laumonier
Ambassador of France in Lithuania (watch video - download .pdf)
|10:30 – 11:00
||Press Conference (watch video) / Coffee-break
|11:00 – 12:30
||Complementarities and synergies: EU Agencies and Eurostat
Director – EIGE (presented by EIGE's Head of Operations Barbara Wurster watch video - download .pdf)
Director – Eurofound (watch video part 1/2, part 2/2 - download .pdf)
Director – FRA (watch video part 1/2, part 2/2)
Christian F. Lettmayer
Acting Director – Cedefop (watch video part 1/2, part 2/2- download .pdf)
Director of Directorate F - Social and information society statistics - Eurostat (watch video part 1/2, part 2/2 - download .pdf)
| 12:30 – 14:00
The Seminar’s afternoon session is targeted to Member States' representatives from Gender and Equality Bodies and National Statistics Offices
| 14:00 – 14:30
||Complementarities and synergies: Gender Equality in the Member States
Michel Pasteel, Representative of the Belgium Presidency of the Council of Ministers of the EU, Director of the Institute for the equality of women and men
|14:30 – 16:00
- Equality in decision-making
- Gender-based violence
- Men and gender equality
- Gender statistics in the European Union Statistical System
With the participation from Didier Dupre from Eurostat (presentation in .pdf) and Karen Barnes from OECD (presentation in .pdf)
|16:00 – 16:30
|16:30 – 17:00
||Reports from the workshops (watch video part 1/2, part 2/2)
Moderator: Barbara Wurster, Head of EIGE’s Operations Unit
|17:00 – 17:30
Director – European Institute for Gender Equality, watch video
Franciska Mikulas (download .pdf)
Head of the Equality Department
Ministry of National Resources, Hungary
- Speech (.pdf, 73,5KB) by Ms. Viviane Reding, Vice-President of the European Commission responsible for Justice, Fundamental Rights and Citizenship
- Documenting - Analysing - Giving Impetus: EIGE's Role for Gender Equality Policy in Europe (.pdf - 54,7KB) by Ms. Eva Maria Welskop-Deffaa, Chair of EIGE's Management Board
- Communication (.pdf - 60,4 KB) by Mr. François Laumonier, Ambassador of France in Lithuania
- "Complementarities and synergies: EU Agencies and Eurostat" (.pdf - 113 KB) by Ms. Virginija Langbakk, EIGE's Director
- "EIGE and Eurofound: Complementarities and synergies" (.pdf - 201 KB), by Mr. Jorma Karppinen, Eurofound Director
- "Cedefop and EIGE" (.pdf - 270 KB), by Mr. Christian F. Lettmayer, Cedefop Acting Director
- "A statistical portrait on women and men in Europe" (.pdf - 828 KB) by Ms. Inna Šteinbuka, Eurostat Director for social and information society statistics
- "Gender statistics in the European Statistical System (ESS)" (.pdf, 776 KB) by Mr. Didier Dupré, Eurostat Head of section “Earnings, labour costs, PEEI for the labour market” statistics
- "Measuring discrimination against women: The Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI)" (.pdf - 1,18MB) by Ms. Karen Barnes, Gender Project Coordinator, OECD Development Centre
- Communication (.pdf - 297 KB) by Ms. Franciska Mikulas, Head of the Equality Department, Ministry of National Resources, Hungary
EIGE's role within the Strategy
The Strategy for Equality between Women and Men for 2010 – 2015 pinpoints the Institute's actions:
- Support the development and up-date of indicators in the critical areas of the Beijing Platform for Action (2011 – 2015).
- Set up a documentation centre accessible to the public with existing statistics, data and information, functioning models and approaches to gender mainstreaming (2012).
- Provide support to the development of mainstreaming tools and methods (2011 – 2015).
- Develop a gender equality index (2012).
- Establish a virtual European Network on gender Equality (2012).